In breaking news today, stock media agency Pond5 (read our review) has acquired Pixmac. Pixmac has been around for years selling royalty free stock photos and vectors, but never really picked up speed with sales. They do however have a presence in many countries and a website with around 6,000 contributing photographers and vector artists.
The good news in this buyout is that Pond5’s 50% commission is being carried over to Pixmac, as is the ability to set your own prices. How nice it is to see royalties actually increasing, rather than plummeting!
Pond5’s acquisition of Pixmac – What They Had To Say
Here is a copy of the email sent to contributors from Pond5 earlier today in case you missed it…
Dear Pond5 Artist,
We have some big news to share with you. We’re incredibly excited to announce that the team and assets at Pixmac will be joining us at Pond5. Based in Prague, Czech Republic, Pixmac was founded in 2007 and represents a broad network of country-based stock photography sites (such as pixmac.cz, pixmac.es, pixmac.pl, pixmac.com.br, and so on). They’ve done an incredible job creating a fast and friendly user interface, bringing in millions of photos, and building traffic to their sites. Their customers come from around the globe, and like Pond5 they’ve focused on being artist-friendly, and have done a lot with a little. Unlike Pond5, they have focused specifically on photos and have built a multi-language, multi-currency platform, which makes Pixmac a great complement to Pond5’s already strong base in video, audio, and other media types, currently available only in English.
The Pixmac team, technology, and images will be a fantastic addition to Pond5, and the integration represents a big win for our artists and our buyers.
Here are some of the key benefits for Pond5 artists:
- Global reach in 17+ languages. With the integration of Pixmac, Pond5 content will be available around the world in 17+ languages and in multiple currencies. Video, audio, photos, illustrations, AE templates, and 3D models will be getting rolled out across this global network of sites in the coming months, and made available to media makers in all corners of the globe. The Pixmac network of local managers will also be joining us, helping to bring your content to the world, and bringing their understanding of their markets back to Pond5.
- More traffic and more buyers for your media. The combined traffic across the Pixmac network of sites is greater than the total current traffic to Pond5, so we will be more than doubling our traffic base in one go – which means more buyers for your media. Pixmac is especially strong in Europe, Latin America and Asia, and we look forward to jumping in head-first to those fast growing markets!
- A great team and great technology. The Pixmac team – Jakub, Lucie, Martin, Michal, and Vita – has built something truly impressive, and we are very excited about working with them to continue to build out the world’s most vibrant marketplace for media makers.
Pixmac’s Comments Regarding The Merger
Pixmac also sent out an email to contributors, which covered a few things that the Pond5 one didn’t. Here it is below, which should answer most questions you may have regarding the merger if you are currently a Pixmac contributor…
Dear Pixmac Artist,
We have some big news to share with you. We’re incredibly excited to announce that Pixmac is joining Pond5 media marketplace. Based in New York, USA, Pond5 was founded in 2006 and represents the world’s most vibrant marketplace for media makers, offering the web’s largest collection of royalty-free video footage, as well as millions of stock photos, illustrations, music tracks, sound effects, Adobe After Effects project templates, and 3D models. Pond5 invites media makers from all over the world to submit their own content and set their own prices, earning 50% on each sale – significantly higher than traditional players.
The Pixmac team, technology, and images will be a great fit for Pond5, and the integration represents a big win for our artists and our buyers.
Here are some of the key benefits for Pixmac artists:
- 50% on each sale. Not really a common step in the industry – raising royalties – is going to happen at Pixmac again. We are happy to reward your creativity and loyalty. With the integration, Pixmac content will be available not only on Pixmac sites, but also on Pond5 marketplace.
- More traffic and more buyers for your media. The traffic at the Pond5 marketplace is similar to our traffic at Pixmac, so we will be significantly increasing our traffic base in one go — which means more buyers for your media. Pond5 is especially strong in USA, and we look forward to jumping in the strongest stock-media selling economy!
- A great team and great technology. The Pond5 team working from several locations in USA, Brazil and Europe has built something truly impressive, and we’re incredibly excited to be joining forces with them, to continue to empower media makers and enable creativity. They’ll be joining our Prague team, which will be an anchor for European operations of Pond5 & Pixmac brands.
As we are becoming part of same entity, we would like to ask you to accept our new Contributor Agreement as soon as possible, but before March 19th, 2013. All content provided by contributors not accepting the new agreement will be hidden from sales on March 20th, 2013 until the actual acceptance.
So what do you think of this news? Will the merger be a good thing? Will it affect you? Leave your comments below.